103 N. Main La Grange, TX 78945 | 979.968.5300
La Grange was established near the site where La Bahía Road crossed the Colorado River. The first known European settler in the region was Aylett C. Buckner who settled near the Colorado River about 1819. In 1826, John Henry Moore built a twin blockhouse he called Moore’s Fort which area settlers came to depend on for shelter from Indian attacks.
By 1831 a small community developed around Moore’s Fort and in 1837, the settlement of La Grange was platted. In 1838, the Congress of the Republic of Texas established Fayette County and area citizens voted to name La Grange as the county seat.